[apane title=”West Sydney Chinese Christian Church (WSCCC) Origins”]
WSCCC was originally established in 1978 as a branch of the Chinese Christian Church (CCC), Milsons Point. It was only the third Chinese church in Sydney, and was set up with the vision to reach out with the gospel of Jesus to the inner western suburbs. Five families, including twelve children, set out to form the congregation, meeting for the first year in the Burwood Gospel Chapel [/apane]
[apane title=”Growth at Strathfield”]
The church moved to the first of its current premises at Strathfield in 1979, and became independent of its mother church in 1982. Over the following years, Cantonese, Mandarin and English services developed, and currently there are six separate services each Sunday. The first English service began in 1983, along with its Youth Fellowship. The English congregation has had a rich heritage of evangelical teaching from the Bible throughout its history. We have had numerous ministers in our history: Revs Wilfred Chee, Joe Mock, Bruce Dipple, Edison Wee, Mark Boyley and Ariel Kurilowicz. Even during periods without a full-time minister, there was great growth, with strong support from the staff of Sydney Missionary and Bible College (SMBC). An evening English service was started in 1991, which eventually led to the planting of our English congregation in Croydon Park.[/apane]
[apane title=”Planting of new churches”]
In keeping with our vision to reach out with the gospel to different parts of Sydney, WSCCC has established 3 church plants over the years, in the Hills District, Auburn and Croydon Park.
[/apane] [apane title=”A tradition of serving in ministry”] WSCCC has had a strong tradition of theological training and serving in ministry. This has been through training courses as well as theological colleges. Many from our congregation have become ministers, such as:
- Eugene Hor (minister at Gracepoint)
- Brian Tung (minister at St Paul’s Anglican Church, Chatswood)
- Elim Hiu ( pastor at Christ Evangelical Centre, Australia)
- Ernest Chiang (pastor at Christ Methodist Church, Australia)
- Tom Tokura (minister at Chinese Christian Church, Milson’s Point)
- Donald Yee (pastor at OCM Boon Church, Flushing, New York)
- Aaron Koh (pastor at Chinese & Australian Baptist Church, West Ryde)
- Andrew Wong (youth pastor at WSCCC).
Yet others continue in theological training and ministry in many churches across Sydney. There is also a healthy culture of the general congregation training in lay ministries.
We are also blessed to have an academic theological ethos, with several members of our congregation becoming lecturers at Bible colleges:
- Sam Chan teaches Preaching and Theology at SMBC
- Rolf Lepelaar teaches Bible and ministry at Phnom Penh Bible College, Cambodia
- Phil and Irene Nicholson (in Taiwan with OMF)
- Lawrence and Liling Tan (in Bolivia with SIM)
- Rolf and Bonnie Lepelaar (in Cambodia with CMS)
- Wayne and Angela Chen (in Taiwan with OMF)
- Alex Fung (previously served in Japan as Ministry Intern with OMF)
- Bian Tan (previously served in Spain with WEC, died in the 2009 Victorian bushfires at the WEC Betel centre)
- Angie Shum (working in relief and development with SIMaid)
- Jacqui Ng (in Taiwan with OMF).
Many from our congregation have undertaken short-term missions around the world including trips to Central Asia, Ethiopia, Kenya, East Asia, Bolivia and Taiwan.
More about missions